On November 26th the World Health Organization designated variant B.1.1.529 as a variant of concern and named it Omicron. I was first identified in southern Africa and scientists in South Africa and around the world are working to understand if vaccines will work against Omicron.
Due to the high risk of the new Omicron mutation of SARS-CoV-2, the Polish government has introduced a restriction, whichwill enter into force from December 1 and will last at least until December 17.
- Flights are banned to seven countries such as Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe.
- The limit has been reduced from 75% occupancy to 50% in the places such as restaurants, hotels, and cultural institutions such as cinemas, theatres, operas, philharmonics, cultural centers, concerts, circus performances, churches and sports facilities, such as swimming pools and water parks.
- The number of people at meetings and celebrations, such as weddings and club parties, which could currently host 150 people, will be changed as 100 people.
- The number of people in sports events organized outside sports venues will be reduced from 500 to 250 people.
- In facilities such as gyms, clubs, fitness centers, museums, gambling centers, the number of people allowed was 1 person per 10 square meters. And this limit will be changed as 1 person per 15 square meters.